Sunday, November 30, 2014

Digital Badge L

I really liked the title of Chapter 12; Integrating Technology and Creating Change as Teacher Leaders. That just shows that we as teachers are the ones who have to push the technology for change to happen, which I think is really cool. Chapter 12 made me realize that teachers have an important decision to make: to infuse of include technology in their teaching. Inclusion of technology would mean that technology is present, but not central to a students learning. An example of this would be students using the computer lab for an hour every other day. They are using it and practicing skills with technology, but it is not a main part of their day. Infusion, however, is complete use of technology for learning. Games, word processors, and research are all examples of this. When a teacher uses a computer and interactive white board to teach for most of the day, that is infusion of technology. I personally feel like more teachers are infusing technology into their teaching styles rather than including, and I would do the same. For example, in high schools teachers put up notes on the computer and interactive white board, they play videos and movies and research solutions to problems right there in front of the class. Infusion is definitely the way to go in my opinion.

Concerning digital inequalities I think I may be naive, but I believe that every child has had computer access before starting school. In this day and age, it's impossible to not have an email. Bills, receipts, Facebook, and numerous other things communicate through email. So I would think that a student would have access to a computer if their parents do, whether at home or at a public library. A lot of college libraries even have public access. So I would not let the thought that a family does not have computer access stop me from using technology in my teaching.

The book then went on to discuss one to one laptop computing. I personally have had experience with this program, as my high school took part in this. It did make learning very different and more technology oriented. Each student used their computers as textbooks, quiz and test centers, a place to turn in homework assignments, and a place to take notes during class. It was awesome, I barely picked up a pencil all year. However, I also beat the computer game Plants Vs. Zombies that first year of high school. My friends and I were also able to video chat funny faces to each other while in different classes. So really, the idea of having personal computers for each students in class is great in theory but as a student I know that I didn't always use it for the right reasons. Maybe having the computer to take home would be beneficial, but having them in class throughout the day can become a major distraction.






Maloy, Robert, Verock-O’Loughlin,Ruth-Ellen, Edwards, Sharon A., and Woolf, Beverly Park (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.

1 comment:

  1. Aren't you lucky to have had experience as a student in a 1-to-1 world!? I would suggest that since there have been additional years of experience to help teachers implement more effectively you may not have nearly the transition issues. Of course, classroom management issues have been around long before technology infiltrated the classrooms so that has more to do with teachers knowing how to manage their classroom and/or provide more effective and engaging lessons than in the technology per say.

    You are right that most students have had a chance to be exposed to various technologies and their uses, but I think the lack of ubiquitous access may be more of the issue. Think about how you use technology without even thinking about it - it is like the air you breathe. So those who don't have such access may be suffocating a bit....

    ReplyDelete